Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Youth Sports


 

Being a school administrator, a former high school coach, and currently helping out in a variety of youth sports, as well as the father of three pretty active kids, I’m frequently asked about my thoughts on youth sports.  My typical response is, “Can you please be more specific with your question?”  This blog entry is an attempt to shed a little light on my thoughts on a big, and growing, topic of conversation.  Unfortunately, today’s youth sports aren’t always as simple as we remember them being.

For today, I’ll stick to the parental side of youth sports, which range from pre-school recreation leagues to elite club teams.  I do have a variety of thoughts on how youth sports, especially club sports, is impacting our kids and the high school programs they represent, but I’ll save that for another day.

These are my thoughts, based on my experiences.  They have changed over time, and I’m sure will continue to do so.  These are by no means the right answers, just my opinions, as is always the case.

My children, ages 11, 16 and 20, have been involved in a variety of youth sports and activities, at various levels, for as long as they have been able.  In addition to my role as parent, I’ve also served as a coach, and of course chauffer.  Participation in youth activities has allowed my children an opportunity to develop skills, gain confidence, face great challenges, and exposure to great competition.  It has also provided them with unique travel opportunities, but most of all it has allowed them to develop strong and lasting relationships. 

 

Some friendly advice:
  • Explore as many activities as you can.  Don’t limit your child’s exposure to activities you enjoy.
  • Allow your child to find his or her passion(s), and follow those.  Don’t steer them, or push them, in a direction of your liking. 
  • If they want to shoot baskets, shoot.  If they want to play catch, play catch.  Don’t miss an opportunity to be engaged in your child’s interest.
  • Be realistic with your calendar.  Don’t schedule your child (or you) so thin that he or she (or you) misses out on being a kid.
  • Be respectful of the coach/sponsor.  Most likely he or she is a volunteer, and has invested more time and energy than you could imagine.
  • Be a supportive parent, not a critic.  Don’t rehash the game or correct the mistakes immediately in the car.  There is a time and a place for that, but not now.
  • Be realistic with your expectations.  What is it you want to get out of a given activity? 
  • Be realistic about your goals.  Youth sports do not provide a guarantee of a college scholarship.  Statistics are not in your favor, as only a small percentage of athletes receive the coveted “full ride.”  If you view youth sports as a means to pay for your child’s college education, your money would be better invested elsewhere.

More to come later…

Best of Luck,
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment